Janina's Education and Work Experience
Photo: Rick Scott
- is a graduate of the Biological Sciences Ecology program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- holds a Bachelor's Degree in Education (Social Studies, Language Arts, and Multiculturalism) from the University of Alberta
- is a Conservation Education Instructor for Alberta
- brings over 30 years of teaching experience and student leadership to her projects
- was an administrator and visitor services officer (Naturalist) for Alberta Recreation and Parks for over 7 years
- is a Native American Flute Player, drum enthusiast, and World Music Teacher
- is currently a full time teacher of the General Music Program at
R W Zahara Elementary School in Sexsmith, Alberta, Canada.
- continues to foster student leadership "Be the Change We Wish to See" in schools (ie. Me to We, Environmental Stewardship, Foster Child, WWF, CPAR, Friends of Jasper National Park)
- has worked on a summer agricultural/cultural exchange in Marifjora, Norway
Committees and Clubs:
Janina has facillitated sessions and workshops at the Science Specialist Council of the ATA, Mighty Peace Teachers' Convention, and Northwest Learning Consortium. Her interest in Global, Environmental and Outdoor Education fits well within the workshops, classes, and concerts in which she devotes so much passion and enthusiasm.
She is a member of the Diversity, Equity, and Human Rights Committee (DEHR) of her provincial teachers' association (ATA), Global, Environmental & Outdoor Education Council of the ATA, Sons of Norway Solglyt Lodge from Edmonton, Friends of Jasper National Park, and is a member of the Peace Parkland Naturalists in Grande Prairie. Janina is also a member of the Njardar Vikinglag of Gudvangen, Norway, the Norwegian Lafthus in Red Deer, and Odin's Ravens Viking Reenactors of Edmonton.
Janina is currently a member of the Grande Prairie Songwriters as well as the Peace Region Songwriters. She also belongs to The World Flute Society, and is the co-founder of NANA, (Northern Alberta Native American) Flute Circle as well as an instructor/coordinator of the Rising Windz Flutes, & Heartbeat Drums Circle, R-Muzika and FBO Drum Group at R W Zahara Elementary School in Sexsmith, Alberta.
Janina is a member of SOCAN.
Janina has had a number of articles, poems, and stories about nature, flute and aspects of student projects published in:
The Spotlight - Peace Wapiti School District's Educational Newsletter
INAFA's (now RNAFF's) "Voices of the Wind" quarterly
ATA Global Environmental and Outdoor Education Council's "Connections Magazine"
The Osprey - Newfoundland
A Nature Guide To Alberta, 1980.